Our 2020-2021 Arkansas State C.A.R. Project
Conservation of Plastic Use – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Purpose: Protect Arkansas’ wildlife and natural beauty through the reduction of plastic.
Did you know that?:
- The average person uses about 220 pounds of plastic each year.
- This number must be reduced. Most plastic gets thrown away, goes into the landfill, and then spreads into bodies of water and/or in the ground.
- Plastic – at minimum – takes up to 1000 years to decompose.
- Plastic bags take 10-20 years.
- Plastic water bottles take 450 years to decompose.
- The United States has increased plastic production by 44 % since the year 2000.
- 111 Billion water bottles are used in the USA annually.
- 18 billion pounds of plastic waste goes into the ocean every year.
- 100 million marine animals die every year from plastic consumption
In order to help the planet, we must conserve our plastic use.
How we can conserve plastic:
- Order less online.
- Bring our own grocery bags to the store.
- Buy mesh bags for produce.
- Use bamboo or metal straws and utensils.
These are all eco-friendly ideas that help to conserve our plastic use.
Other ways to conserve plastic use are:
- Buy bar soap.
- Paper sandwich bags or reusable sandwich containers in school lunches.
- Use powdered detergent instead of liquid sold in plastic bottles for laundry detergents and dishwashing soap.
- Recycle what you can.
- Buy/Use refillable metal water bottles.
Bible Verse: “1 Corinthians 4:2 KJ, It is required of stewards that they be found faithful.