Daughters of the American Revolution
Cadron Post Chapter
Organized December 13, 1979
One of the early explorers and settlers of the Cadron Creek area was John Standlee who found a home here with his sons
in the early 1800s. They built three small cabins and subsisted entirely on wild game; buffalos, bears, elk, deer and
turkey,and traded at Cadron Town,the first settlement of Cadron nears its mouth at the Arkansas River. The Osage were bitter enemies of
the early settlers and they were constantly "harrassed by the savages and tormented by wild beast". Many historical sites have been restored and
preserved but many others are lost to the wilderness.
Photo courtesy of Smoke (Michael A.) Pfeiffer, RPA; Ozark-St. Francis National Forests
Cadron Settlement Park
The Cadron Settlement near the mouth of Cadron Creek was an important French Trading post in the late 1700s.
The Cadron Settlement is now a National Historic Site featuring the Cadron Block House, a replica of a late 18th century structure used
as a trading post, public gathering place, and defense post. The 1830 Daniel Greathouse home, a two-room house built of massive cypress
logs, is now a museum. It is a day use park with pit toilets, visitor assistance, trash container, boat ramp, and hiking trail. Picnic
shelters are available for reservation.
Mrs. Jane Mabry was organizing regent when Cadron Post was
organized and chartered December 13, 1979. Cadron Post is named
for a post office which was established May 3, 1820, at Cadron on
the Arkansas River. The Post was a regular stop on the Butterfield
Mail Route from Memphis to San Francisco. This post office remained
open until 1832.
|REGENT|| Octavia Baldridge|
|VICE REGENT|| Judith McKnight|
|CHAPLAIN|| Nancy Thompson|
|SECRETARY|| Nikki Reid |
|TREASURER|| Pamela Jolly|
|REGISTRAR|| Carol Rolf |
|HISTORIAN|| Kimberly Jones|
|LIBRARIAN|| Mary Mosley |
Click on image for information
For information about the Cadron Post Chapter
ASDAR and NSDAR buttons created by Dayna Trembley Hilton
For comments about this website, please contact the webmaster.
Last modified on December 29, 2016
The DAR Insignia is the property of, and is copyrighted by, the National Society of the Daughters of the
American Revolution. Web hyperlinks to non-DAR sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or
individual DAR chapters.