Welcome to Conway, Arkansas!
Photo at downtown Conway provided by the Division of Arkansas Tourism
Welcome to the Cadron Post Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, chartered in Conway, Arkansas!
Mrs. Jane Mabry was organizing regent when Cadron Post was organized and chartered December 13, 1979. Cadron Post is named for a post office which was established May 3, 1820, at Cadron on the Arkansas River. The Post was a regular stop on the Butterfield Mail Route from Memphis to San Francisco. This post office remained open until 1832.
One of the early explorers and settlers of the Cadron Creek area was John Standlee who found a home here with his sons in the early 1800s. They built three small cabins and subsisted entirely on wild game; buffalos, bears, elk, deer and turkey, and traded at Cadron Town, the first settlement of Cadron nears its mouth at the Arkansas River. The Osage were bitter enemies of the early settlers and they were constantly “harrassed by the savages and tormented by wild beast.” Many historical sites have been restored and preserved but many others are lost to the wilderness.
|Vice Regent||Kathey Farley|
|Recording Secretary||Marion Sibert|
Cadron Settlement Park
The Cadron Settlement, near the mouth of Cadron Creek, was an important French Trading post in the late 1700s.
The Cadron Settlement is now a National Historic Site featuring the Cadron Block House, a replica of a late 18th century structure used as a trading post, public gathering place, and defense post. The 1830 Daniel Greathouse home, a two-room house built of massive cypress logs, is now a museum.
Mrs. Jane Mabry was organizing regent when Cadron Post was organized and chartered December 13, 1979.