Welcome to Blytheville, Arkansas!
Photo of Blytheville Archway provided by the Division of Arkansas Tourism
Welcome to the Charlevoix Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, chartered in Blytheville, Arkansas!
Charlevoix Chapter composed of nineteen members had its first official meeting on January 26, 1935, at the Hotel Noble in Blytheville. “Charlevoix” was selected as the chapter name in honor of the French historian who came down the Mississippi River in the spring of 1722. When he reached the site of Barfield, in what is now Mississippi County, he stopped for an extended visit with the Chickasaw Indians. Originally the charter members had submitted the name “Chickasaw”, historically the local Indian tribe of this region, to the National office, but it too closely resembled “Chickasha”, a chapter in Oklahoma.
Henry T. Blythe, a Methodist circuit rider, founded the first post office in “Blythesville” in 1879. The city of Blytheville was incorporated in May 1889. Today, Blytheville offers close proximity to large metropolitan areas such as Memphis and excellent transportation systems such as Interstate 55, the Mississippi River, as well as rail and air service.
|Vice Regent||Donna Mosley|
|Recording Secretary||Elizabeth Shippen|
|Corresponding Secretary||Elizabeth Shippen|
Charlevoix Chapter, composed of nineteen members, had its first official meeting on January 26, 1935.