Welcome to Little Rock, Arkansas!
Photo of the Clinton Library provided by the Division of Arkansas Tourism
Welcome to the Gilbert Marshall Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution, chartered in Little Rock, Arkansas!
Chapter Gilbert Marshall is dedicated to the National Society’s focus of patriotism, historical preservation and education. Formed in 1913, the Organizing Regent was Mrs. Thomas Dwight Crawford.
The name Gilbert Marshall was chosen to honor the ancestor of Mrs. Crawford. Gilbert Marshall of Albermarle County, Virginia was the father of John Marshall, 20, who entered the Revolution on April 11, 1776, as an ensign in Colonel Samuel Miles’ Pennsylvania Militia, and retired as captain in 1783.
In 2011 NSDAR Chapter Basil Gaither joined with Chapter Gilbert Marshall. The Centennial Celebration of the Chapter founding was held June 6, 2013 at the MacArthur Museum of Arkansas Military History.
Little Rock is the capital and most populous city in the state of Arkansas. As the county seat of Pulaski County, the city was incorporated on November 7, 1831, on the south bank of the Arkansas River close to the state’s geographic center. The city derived its name from a rock formation along the river, named the “Little Rock” (French: La Petite Roche) by the French explorer Jean-Baptiste Bénard de la Harpe in the 1720s. The capital of the Arkansas Territory was moved to Little Rock in 1821.
Any woman is eligible for membership who is eighteen years of age and can prove lineal, blood line descent from an ancestor who aided in achieving American independence. Documentation must be verified to prove direct descent from a patriot. Source documents include birth, marriage, and death records, etc. Admission to membership in the NSDAR is either through a local chapter in the state organization (or overseas unit) or as a member-at-large.
|Vice Regent||Jo Jones|
|Second Vice Regent||Lynda Suffridge|
“Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”
Adlai Stevenson II