Welcome to Camden, Arkansas!
Photo: McCollum-Chidester House Museum
Welcome to the Tate’s Bluff Chapter, National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.
The Tate’s Bluff Chapter at Camden, Arkansas was organized February 2, 1980 with seventeen members.
The chapter was named for 1819 Tate’s Bluff settlers, Anderson, George and Richard Tate.
Anderson and George Tate were Revolutionary War patriots and their graves were marked by the Benjamin Culp Chapter ASDAR of Prescott, Arkansas. Organizing Regent was Rachel Daniel Neeley.
The McCollum-Chidester House Museum
The McCollum-Chidester House Museum was built in 1847 in Camden, Arkansas by Peter McCollum. It was bought in 1863 by stagecoach entrepreneur Col. John T. Chidester and sold by the Chidester family to the Ouachita County Historical Society in 1963. The museum is open for tours and Tate’s Bluff Chapter DAR members often volunteer as guides and also provide historical research for the society.
Historic Camden, Arkansas
The 1890s era Camden Post Office was saved from the wrecking ball a few years ago and is currently home to The Postmaster’s Grill.
Visit Camden and take a driving tour of the murals in historic downtown and the antebellum homes located nearby.
Saving the Old for New Purposes
The 1937 Fairview High School Gym is now known as “The Events Center in Fairview Park” and is open to the public as a venue for various events/activities.
Tate’s Bluff members hold dear God, home and country by supporting education, historic preservation and patriotism.